Saturday, July 31, 2010

Die Niederlande






For the majority of the day, my host parents and host brother, Simon, went biking for about fifty miles around Germany and into the Netherlands (no passports for nations in the European Union when traveling through the continent). It's gorgious scenery and very flat land. The Dutch are the biggest users of bikes in Europe, for it's a small country and again, flat.

What I've noticed is that television and radio in Germany, in a way, is really "Americanized." They have all the same shows that are on Fox and NBC; and they're in German--great practice! The radio plays a combination of German music and popular American songs with artists like Lady Gaga (in English). I've had delicious food for my first week here as well. Never in my life had I eaten Turkish or Dutch food before. The Dutch meal I had contained about ten percent horse meat...I couldn't believe how good it was! All I knew was that it tasted great, for I never knew what it was until my family told me afterword.