Sunday, July 25, 2010

European Tour


Today my host family drove me through the Autobahn--no speed limits! They showed me the city of Aachen (about 250,000 inhabitants). After that they took me to parts of die Niederlande (Netherlands) und Belgien (Belgium). I've now been to a grand total of four European countries: Tschechische Republik (Czech Republic), Deutschland (Germany), die Niederlande, und Belgien. (Sorry for the German, I'm trying to keep my mind auf Deutsch!) What's interesting is that in public parking garages, they have "Women Only" spaces in areas with lighting and security cameras.
Tomorrow I start an intense immersion training at a local school in Geilinkirchen (subarb of western Germany where I live), where all the Congress-Bundestag scholars will learn the history and geography, culture, and the language of Germany. "School" will be from 8:15 - 15:15 (with a lunch break). The walk is only ten minutes!